Dr. Supranee Buranapraditkun is a postdoctoral fellow in Dr. Hendrik Streeck’s laboratory at the U.S. Military HIV Research Program (MHRP). She graduated with a PhD in Molecular Biology and Immunology from the Interdisciplinary Medical Microbiology Graduate School at Chulalongkorn University in 2012. Her thesis focused on “The Roles of HIV-1 Specific Cytotoxic T Lymphocyte (CTL) responses and HLA class I alleles on viral control and viral escape in HIV-1 infected Thai individuals”.
She is a medical technologist at Chulalongkorn University’s Vaccine and Cellular Immunology Laboratory since 1995. During her research, she worked with Professor Kiat Ruxrungtham in the Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. She has been involved in the previous phase I: DNA/rfawlpox vaccine trial related to intracellular cytokine staining assays. Here, she was a coordinator of the NIH contract #NO1-A1-30024 at the Thailand site focusing on “HLA Typing and Epitope Mapping Relative to Vaccine Design” (2004-2008) with Professor Todd M. Allen.
Dr. Supranee’s current research focuses on an acute HIV infection cohort (RV254) to study earliest immune response in the periphery and lymph node. She is interested in how T follicular helper cells communicate with B cells and how their interaction drives the development of broadly neutralizing antibodies that may be protective when induced prophylactically.
AWARDS and HONORS
1996 Fellowship Training Program in CTL against HIV from French Government at Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Paris, France.
2000 Full scholarship to attend the 13th AIDS Conference, Durban, South Africa.
FIMSA Travel Award to attend the Australasian Society for Immunology, 30th Annual Conference, Sydney, Australia.
2002 Scholarship to attend the 6th FIMSA Advanced Course and Conference “Molecular Mechanisms of Infection and Immunity” Ayutthaya, Thailand.
2003 Fellow scholarship to attend the 10th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, Boston, MA, USA.
2004 Fellow scholarship to attend the 11th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, San Francisco, CA, USA.
2006 Fellowship Training Program in Development of Clinically relevant formulations of HIV vaccines: human and primate studied from at Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
2010 Travel Bursary to attend the 14th International Congress of Immunology, Kobe, Japan.
2012. Conference scholarship to attend the AIDS Vaccine 2012, Boston, MA, USA.
- Phanuphak P, Chuenyam M, Ubolyam S, Buranapraditkun S, Teeratakulpisarn S, Ruxrungtham K, Norio I and Takashi M. Clinical Study of Micronized Reishi Mushroom in Thai HIV patients. In Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Ganoeerma Iucidum in Japan, November 1997.
- Kroon ED, Ungsedhapand C, Ruxrungtham K, Chuenyam M, Ubolyam S, Newell ME, van Leeuwen R, Kunanusont C, Buranapraditkun S, Sirivichayakul S, Lange JM, Cooper DA, Phanuphak P . A randomized, double-blind trial of half versus standard dose of zidovudine plus zalcitabine in Thai HIV-1-infected patients (study HIV-NAT 001). HIV Netherlands Australia Thailand Research Collaboration: AIDS 2000 Jul 7; 14(10):1349-56.
- Ruxrungtham K, Kroon ED, Ungsedhapand C, Teeratakulpisarn S, Ubolyam S, Buranapraditkun S, van Leeuwen R, Weverling GJ, Kunanusont C, Lange JM, Cooper DA, Phanuphak P. A randomized, dose-finding study with didanosine plus stavudine versus didanosine alone in antiviral-naive, HIV-infected Thai patients: AIDS2000 Jul 7;14(10):1375-82.
- Ruxrungtham K, Suwanagool S, Tavel JA, Chuenyam M, Kroon E, Ubolyam S, Buranapraditkun S, Techasathit W, Li Y, Emery S, Davey RT, Fosdick L, Kunanusont C, Lane HC, Phanuphak P; Vanguard Study Group. A randomized, controlled 24-week study of intermittent subcutaneous interleukin-2 in HIV-1 infected patients in Thailand: AIDS. 2000 Nov 10;14(16):2509-13.
- Ungsedhapand C, Kroon ED, Suwanagool S, Ruxrungtham K, Yimsuan N, Sonjai A, Ubolyam S, Buranapraditkun S, Tiengrim S, Pakker N, Kunanusont C, Lange JM, Cooper DA, Phanuphak P. A randomized, open-label, comparative trial of zidovudine plus lamivudine versus zidovudine plus lamivudine plus didanosine in antiretroviral-naïve HIV-1-infected Thai patients: J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2001 Jun 1;27(2):116-23.
- Ananworanich J, Pancharoen C, Sirivichayakul S, Buranapraditkun S, Apateerapong W, Ubolyam S, Ruxrungtham K. Undetectable plasma HIV-1 RNA with strong gag-pol specific interferon-gamma ELISPOT response in an HIV-1 clade A/E-infected child untreated with antiretroviral therapy:Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 2004 Jun-Sep;22(2-3):165-9
- Hansasuta P, Incomserb P, Buranapraditkun S and Bhattarakosol P. Establishment of Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes Specific for Autologous Epstein-Barr Virus in HIV-infected Patients: The Feasibility Study of EBV-specific imunotherapy for Patients With EBVassociated Lymphoma. J Med Assoc Thai 2004; 87(Suppl2): S146-51.
- Suradhat S, Sada W, Buranapraditkun S, Damrongwatanapokin S. The kinetics of cytokine production and CD25 expression by porcine lymphocyte subpopulations following exposure to classical swine fever virus (CSFV). Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2005 Jul 15;106(3-4):197-208.
- Suradhat S, Kesdangsakonwut S, Sada W, Buranapraditkun S, Wongsawang S, Thanawongnuwech R. Negative impact of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus infection on the efficacy of classical swine fever vaccine. Vaccine. 2006 Mar 24;24(14):2634-42. Epub 2005 Dec 19.
- 10. Bunaprasert T, Thongmarongsri N, Thanakit V, Ruangvejvorachai P, Buranapraditkul S, Maneesri S, Kanokpanont S. Tissue engineering of cartilage with porous polycarprolactone-alginate scaffold: the first report of tissue engineering in Thailand. J Med Assoc Thai 2006;89 Suppl 3:S108-14.
- 11. Maek-A-Nantawat W, Buranapraditkun S, Klaewsongkram J, Ruxrungthum K. Increased interleukin-17 production both in helper T cell subset Th17 and CD4-negative T cells in human immunodeficiency virus infection. Viral Immunol 2007; 20(1): 66-75.
- 12. Buranapraditkun S, Nookhai S, Ubolyam S, Sirivichayakul S, Phanuphak P, Ruxrungtham K. Cost Savings by Reagent Reduction in Flow Cytometry-Based CD4+ T Cell Counts: An Approach to Improve Accessibility for HIV Management Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol 2007; 25 (1): 83-89.
- 13. Chang J, Sirivichayakul S, Avihingsanon A, Thompson A, Revill P, Iser D, Slavin J, Buranapraditkun S, Marks P, Matthews G, Cooper D,Kent S, Cameron P, Sasadeusz J, Desmond P, Locarnini S, Dore G, Ruxrungtham K, and Lewin S. Impaired Quality of the Hepatitis B Virus (HBV)-Specific T-Cell Response in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1-HBV Coinfection. Journal of Virology 2009; 83(15):7649-7658.
- 14. Wongyanin P, Buranapraditkun S, Chokeshai-Usaha K, Thanawonguwech R, Suradhat S. Induction of inducible CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ regulatory T lymphocytes by porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV). Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2010;133(2-4):170-82.
- 15. Crane M, Sirivichayakul S, Chang JJ, Avihingsanon A, Ubolyam S, Buranapraditkun S, Thantiworasit P, Wightman F, Locarnini S, Matthews G, Dore GJ, Ruxrungtham K, Lewin SR. No increase in hepatitis B virus (HBV)-specific CD8+ T cells in patients with HIV-1-HBV coinfections following HBV-active highly active antiretroviral therapy. Journal of Virology 2010; 84(6):2657-65.
- 16. Pulsawat P, Piboonpocanun S, Sirivichayakul S, Buranapraditkun S, Jacquet A, Shimada M, Okuda K, Ruxrungtham K. Production and immunogenicity of hypoallergenic codon-optimized DNA vaccine encoding mature Der p 1 allergen. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol.2010; 20(7):582-90.
- 17. Wismol P, Putivoranat P, Buranapraditkun S, Pinnobphun P, Ruxrungtham K, Klaewsongkram J. The values of nasal provocation test and basophil activation test in the different patterns of ASA/NSAID hypersensitivity. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2012; 40(3):156-63.
- 18. Pinnobphun P, Buranapraditkun S, Kampitak T, Hirankarn N, Klaewsongkram J. The diagnostic value of basophil activation test in patients with an immediate hypersensitivity reaction to radiocontrast media. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2011 May;106(5):387-93.
- 19. Sirivichayakul S, Thantiworasit P, Chatkulkawin P, Buranapraditkun S, Munier ML, Kelleher AD, Ruxrungtham K. Immunogenicity assay validation for an HIV vaccine trial: High IFNγ(+)/IL-2(+) CD8(+) T cells background in healthy Thais. Vaccine. 2011 Aug 11;29(35):6002-7.
- 20. Buranapraditkun S, Hempel U, Pitakpolrat P, Allgaier RL, Thantivorasit P, Lorenzen SI, Sirivichayakul S, Hildebrand WH, Altfeld M, Brander C, Walker BD, Phanuphak P, Hansasuta P, Rowland-Jones SL, Allen TM, Ruxrungtham K. A novel immunodominant CD8+ T cell response restricted by a common HLA-C allele targets a conserved region of Gag HIV-1 clade CRF01_AE infected Thais. PLoS One. 2011;6(8):e23603.
- 21. Wangrattanasopon P, Ruxrungtham K, Chantaphakul H, Buranapraditkun S, Klaewsongkram J. Alkali-treated penicillin G solution is a better option than penicillin G as an alternative source of minor determinants for penicillin skin test. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2012 Mar; 33(2): 152-9.
- 22. Wongyanin P, Buranapraditkul S, Yoo D, Thanawongnuwech R, Roth JA, Suradhat S. Role of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus nucleocapsid protein in induction of interleukin-10 and regulatory T-lymphocytes (Treg). J Gen Virol. 2012 Jun; 93(Pt 6):1236-46.
- 23. Tanvarasethee B, Buranapraditkun S, Klaewsongkram J.The Potential of Using Enzyme-linked Immunospot to Diagnose Cephalosporin-induced Maculopapular Exanthems. Acta Derm Venereol. 2012 Jun 21.
- 24. Tongtako W, Klaewsongkram J, Jaronsukwimal N, Buranapraditkun S, Mickleborough TD, Suksom D. The effect of acute exhaustive and moderate intensity exercises on nasal cytokine secretion and clinical symptoms in allergic rhinitis patients. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 2012 Sep;30(3):185-92.
- 25. Chokeshai-u-saha K, Buranapraditkun S, Jacquet A, Nguyen C, Ruxrungtham K. A two-step non-flowcytometry-based naïve B cell isolation method and its application in Staphylococcal enterotoxin B (SEB) presentation. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol. 2012 Sep;30(3):214-23.
- 26. Thongprayoon C, Tantrachoti P, Phatharacharukul P, Buranapraditkun S, Klaewsongkram J. Associated immunological disorders and cellular immune dysfunction in thymoma: a study of 87 cases from Thailand. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2013 Feb;61(1):85-93.
- 27. Pulsawat P, Pitakpolrat P, Prompetchara E, Kaewamatawong T, Techakriengkrai N, Sirivichayakul S, Buranapraditkun S, Hannaman D, Ruxrungtham K, Jacquet A. Optimization of a Der p 2-based prophylactic DNA vaccine against house dust mite allergy. Immunol Lett. 2013 Mar;151(1-2):23-30.
- 28. Boonpiyathad S, Pornsuriyasak P, Buranapraditkun S, Klaewsongkram J. Interleukin-2 levels in exhaled breath condensates, asthma severity, and asthma control in nonallergic asthma. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2013 Sep-Oct;34(5):e35-41. doi: 10.2500/aap.2013.34.3680. Erratum in: Allergy Asthma Proc. 2013 Nov-Dec;34(6):561.
29. Pornsuriyasak P, Suwatanapongched T, Klaewsongkram J, Buranapraditkun S, Rotjanapan P. Acute respiratory failure secondary to eosinophilic pneumonia following influenza vaccination in an elderly man with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Infect Dis. 2014 Sep;26:14-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ijid.2014.04.019. Epub 2014 Jun 27.
30. Tieu HV, Suntarattiwong P, Puthanakit T, Chotpitayasunondh T, Chokephaibulkit K, Sirivichayakul S, Buranapraditkun S, Rungrojrat P, Chomchey N, Tsiouris S, Hammer S, Nandi V, Ananworanich J; Thai TB Px Study Group. Comparing interferon-gamma release assays to tuberculin skin test in Thai children with tuberculosis exposure. PLoS One. 2014 Aug 14;9(8):e105003. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0105003. eCollection 2014.